Section 2a – The Association
We were established in 1979 by a group of people who understood the importance of co-ordinating support, guidance and advice for those affected by MND. These were our first volunteers.
We are the only national charity in England, Wales and Northern Ireland that funds and promotes global research into MND and provides support for people affected by MND.
We are a membership organisation with nearly 8,000 members forming a powerful national and local network that provides information and support alongside fighting for improved services.
We now have over 3,000 active volunteers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and over 140 paid staff, all dedicated to improving the lives of people affected by MND, now and in the future.
You can read some of the key events since we were formed here.
Our Vision, Mission and Values
A world free from MND.
We improve care and support for people with MND, their families and carers. We fund and promote research that leads to new understanding of treatments, and brings us closer to a cure for MND. We campaign and raise awareness so the needs of people with MND and everyone who cares for them are recognised and addressed by wider society.
• People with MND, their families and carers are at the heart of everything we do
• We collaborate, and value everyone’s contribution
• We achieve excellence through personal commitment and ongoing improvement
• We respect and respond to people’s diverse needs, backgrounds and views
• We achieve our aims through building open and transparent relationships
Now you have completed Section 2a, please move on to Section 2b – our structure, or return to the induction homepage