Powered Neuro Wheelchair
The MND Association has worked with three wheelchair manufacturers, those most commonly used by statutory services, to create new specifications of Powered Neuro Wheelchair that meet the needs of people with motor neurone disease (MND).
MND is a progressive neurological condition that can cause, among other symptoms, muscle wasting and fatigue. This can lead to mobility problems, including difficultly walking. As the condition progresses, most people with MND will need to use a wheelchair.
The provision of the most appropriate wheelchair for people with MND has, in the past, been complicated. Most often, costly adaptations had to be made to existing wheelchair stock, leading to delays in people getting their wheelchair. The wheelchairs have been specified to avoid these problems, in an affordable way for wheelchair services.
The Powered Neuro Wheelchairs were developed with the help of people living with and affected by MND, wheelchair service managers, therapists and rehabilitation engineers, other health and social care professionals and other charities. The resulting Powered Neuro Wheelchairs are suited to the needs of people with MND and other similar, progressive conditions.
The resulting Powered Neuro Wheelchairs are suited to the needs of people with MND and other similar, progressive conditions.
Each of the Powered Neuro Wheelchairs is suitable for indoor and outdoor use and all have features that are designed to be adapted as the condition progresses, so that further costs can be minimised.
- powered tilt-in-space, to overcome the effects of gravity and help prevent someone slumping, sliding down or falling to one side, while keeping their head supported in a forward-facing position. This feature can also prevent fatigue from attempts to maintain an upright posture
- a cushioned, tension-adjustable backrest, to accommodate an upper kyphosis (rounded upper back)
- a seatboard that can be supplied with the most appropriate cushion
- different headrest options that can be adjusted to suit as the condition progresses
- padded arm rests
- options for adding different controls and switches
- independent angle-adjustable foot rests.
Each wheelchair has been designed to offer a high specification at an optimum cost, and to be affordable within the remit of local wheelchair services.