Welcome to the Hertfordshire Branch
Welcome to the Hertfordshire branch of the MND Association. We are here to provide you, your family and the community a broad range of support, as you live with this disease.
This includes friendship, access to various resources, regular contact opportunities, fundraising activities and support for National campaigns highlighting awareness of and the impact of MND.
The Three Horseshoes pub where in-person branch meetings are held.
The Branch is run entirely by volunteers and provides a vital link between the National Association and the local Hertfordshire community. Our aim is to make a positive difference to people affected by MND by:
- Visiting with those living with MND, providing support and information to you and your carers.
Trained Association Visitors attached to the Branch provide personal and direct contact with those living with MND. They offer support, help, and guidance to those living with MND and their families. They can help with navigating the way through the health and social care system.
- Fundraising to pay for equipment not provided elsewhere, and to contribute to things that provide quality of life such as transport, therapies or holiday costs.
- Raising awareness of the disease through the local media, our newsletters and this website.
- Playing an active part in networking and building relationships locally with health and social care professionals, to influence and improve services for people with MND.
- Holding regular, informal Open Meetings where people with MND, their carers and families have various opportunities to meet other people living with the disease and share experiences.
If you are interested in volunteering with us to help make a difference to people living with MND in Hertfordshire, please do not hesitate to contact us.
If you are living with MND or are a family member/carer, we are able to provide support and advice – please get in touch.
For those living in North Herts (north of Hatfield), please contact Christine Carter:
Email- [email protected]. Tel: 01462 883450/07935 724384
For those living in South Herts (south of Hatfield), please contact Hetty Smith:
Email - [email protected]. Tel: 01462 630195/07930 462870
We enjoy raising funds for our local Branch to help with the care of local people affected by MND and to provide support for carers and families.
A variety of fund-raising activities have been carried out throughout the years, including :
- Collections at local supermarkets and train stations
- Street collections in local towns
- Bric-a-brac Stalls
- Attendance at local events, such as Stevenage Day
- Quiz Nights
- Musical Concerts
For more information about the different events and activities organised by the branch in order to provide support, raise awareness, and fundraise on behalf of people living with MND, please read our latest newsletter or contact us.
MND Connect is more than just a helpline. MND Connect offers people access to a quick route to get advice, practical and emotional support and directing to other services and agencies.
MND Connect is available 9am to 5pm and 7pm to 10.30pm Mondays to Fridays. Calls are charged at local rate.
The service is for:
- People living with MND
- Family members
- Health and Social Care Professionals
- MND Association staff and volunteers.
MND Connect can:
- Give information about MND and how to cope with symptoms
- Give medical, social, practical and financial information
- Offer help and advice
- Put you in touch with an Association Visitor, local Branch/Group or Regional Care Development Adviser
- Advise on the services the MND Association can offer
- Send you leaflets and information sheets
- Put you in touch with other appropriate services
MND Connect is made up of a team of experienced staff and volunteers who work closely with our local and regional services.
Contact MND Connect on 0808 8026262 or email : [email protected]
Gazebo for hire
The Branch has recently acquired a Gazebo which can be borrowed, subject to availability, for a small donation to Branch Funds. The Gazebo is green, 3 metres x 3 metres, it has two side panels if required and can be easily erected by 2 people. Please contact [email protected] or [email protected] for more information.
Committee Member’s Contact details
Chairperson - Kent Allen: 07771 876562
Treasurer - Heather Hurley: 01462 627025
Secretary - Lindsey Lucas: 07905 157764
Branch Contact - Chris Carter: 01462 338450
Committee Member - Maria Watson: 07800 978281
Committee Member - Grant Cameron: 07896 260261
Committee Member - Hetty Smith: 01462 630195