EnCouRage UK is open to both MND Association funded and non-funded early career researchers, including PhD students and up to 5 years post-docs (career breaks will be considered) who have chosen MND as their area of investigation.
This is a fantastic opportunity for you to present your work, talk with other early career researchers and senior researchers, start to form networks to carry you through your career, and meet people living with and affected by MND.
'I think it was the best sort of early career researcher event I've been to because it was a lot more about supporting our learning and helping us build as people and researchers.' ECR, EnCouRage 2023
What can you expect?*
- The opportunity to showcase your work to an audience of your peers, senior researchers and people living with and affected by MND.
- An exciting and fast-paced programme of career-oriented talks and activities including: engaging with a lay audience; securing funding; dealing with setbacks; alternative career paths; real-world perspectives of MND; media training; current research; and more.
- An exciting and interactive workshop revealing the secrets of storytelling and powerful public speaking. 'This workshop will show you how to captivate your audience with your opening words, to endings that echo and endure, tricks to hold your audience's attention, how to tell spellbinding stories, the smart use of slides and data, and even the golden secret of success. It will explore all you need to know to interest, impress and inspire when presenting your investigation in only two hours of a high intensity, highly interactive, and - maybe even - highly entertaining workshop.'
- Networking opportunities throughout both days, giving you the chance to foster connections and relationships with both the research and MND communities.
- Complimentary accommodation at the Staverton Park Hotel and Golf Club for the nights of 8, 9, and 10 July (if required).
- Welcome reception on the evening of the 8 July (optional).
- Informal BBQ and drinks on the evening of the 9 July.
- Three-course dinner on the evening of the 10 July.
*subject to change
What do you need to do now?
Places at the event are limited. Abstract submissions are now open. If you would like to be considered you will need to send a lay title and summary of your work (no more than 100 words). Please use the link below to upload your abstract to our submission portal. You will need to create a new account on EventsAir then follow the on-screen instructions. Abstract submission closes on Wednesday 6 March.
Once the abstract submission portal closes we will let you know if you have been chosen to take part in MND EnCouRage UK 2024 by the end of March. You will then be sent a link to complete registration and pay the £75 registration fee.
'I definitely recommend it. It's an incredible way to increase your ability to communicate your research and also continue to get motivated for your work.' ECR, EnCouRage 2023