Insurance cover is provided for volunteers providing they are following the policies and procedures of the MND Association and within remit of their role
Volunteers undertaking roles authorised by the Association, are covered by its Public Liability Insurance and all volunteers under the age of 80 are covered by Personal Accident Insurance.
The MND Association’s insurance policies include cover for the following:
Public liability insurance covers the costs of claims made by members of the public in the event of an incident that causes injury or harm or damage to property. Product liability insurance protects against the legal costs associated with a personal injury or damages claim.
Public and products liability insurance:
- Indemnifies the Association including branches and groups against incidents or events that are the responsibility of the Association;
- Does not cover against risks that occur as a result of another party’s negligence e.g. an injury caused as a direct result of lack of maintenance to a house or venue;
- Does not cover all activities, especially those outside of normal volunteering activities (as outlined in volunteer role descriptions). When planning an event it is recommended that branches/groups check with the property owner that suitable insurance is in place before proceeding.
Employers’ liability insurance covers the cost of compensating volunteers and staff who are injured or become ill through volunteering or working.
- Indemnity is covered for all MND Association registered volunteers
- Events covered under the Association insurance include: anniversary parties, conferences, seminars, exhibitions, training courses, jumble sales, bazaars, street parties, village hall/local theatre productions, recitals or concerts, coffee mornings, baby show competitions, bring and buy sales, garden parties, dances (but not discos or night club events), flower shows, craft fairs, golf days, tin shakes, fun runs and low level walking activities in non-mountainous environments (subject to satisfactory completion of medical questionnaire and provision of first aid facilities).
- For events not included on this list please contact your Area Support Coordinator, Regional Fundraiser or the Volunteering Team to discuss whether your event may be covered.
Personal accident insurance is designed to pay out if you suffer from a serious injury or death in the course of your volunteering activities for the MND Association. A payment may help if you experience a loss of income if you are unable to attend work for a period of time. This insurance does not require proof of negligence.
- Personal accident cover is only provided for our volunteers up to the age of 80;
- Volunteers over the age of 80 can continue to undertake work on behalf of the Association but must be aware that they are not covered by our personal accident insurance, and that they do so at their own risk.
This insurance covers trustees, directors and officers who are in a position of trust or leadership within the MND Association and covers against claims of mismanagement of the organisations and associated legal costs.
- Covers against actual or alleged wrongful acts, errors or omissions of staff and Trustees or branch or group officers when carrying out their duties.
- This does not cover against criminal proceedings against fraud or dishonesty, or liabilities incurred from conduct that must have reasonably been assumed by an individual to not be in the best interests of the charity.
This insurance covers for claims made against the MND Association as a result of negligence on the part of the charity in the conduct and execution of its activities and duties.
- This insurance covers volunteers acting within the remit of their role as defined in volunteer role descriptions and in line with induction and training programmes for volunteers.
- It does not provide cover for volunteers to provide personal or medical care, including advice, as this is beyond the remit of MND Association volunteer roles.
Money lost or taken from an MND Association volunteer up to the value of £500.
Please note that volunteers are not insured through the Association’s driver’s policy.