Could you be a Carers’ Champion?
This year we are trialling a volunteer role focussing on supporting carers and past carers of people with MND – Carers’ Champions.
This project is supported by the Bupa UK Foundation through their Caring For Carers programme.
Find out more below, including how to become a Champion yourself!
Carers' Champions are volunteers helping to provide information about support for carers and past carers of people with MND in their local area.
Carers’ Champions also:
- Build up knowledge of the support available for carers in their community
- Liaise with carers to identify what issues they face
- Explain how the MND Association can support them
- Help identify and create opportunities to bring new, existing and past carers together.
For more information see the Role Description.
We will provide thorough and ongoing training and support for Champions as part of this trial. Expenses will be reimbursed and volunteers are covered by insurance.
Ensuring carers of people with MND can access the support and information they need is a key part of the Association’s mission. Our research and your feedback continue to emphasise the importance of support for carers and past carers.
Volunteers have been active as Carers’ Champions in several pioneering areas, including North Yorkshire and East Sussex. We now want to build on this by testing the role across more areas of the country.
A trial will help us learn more about:
- The impact of Carers’ Champions on support for carers and past carers
- Whether some approaches are more effective than others
- The overall value of the role
- How it complements existing activity by Association Visitors and other volunteers.
This is taking place as part of the Support Volunteer Project, a broader review of our model of volunteer support.
To find out more about becoming a Carers’ Champion or request an application form contact the Volunteering Team on 0345 6044 150 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We are particularly interested in participants from Greater Manchester, London, the South West of England and the Thames Valley. These are the main areas where the trial is taking place.
However, if you are from another part of the country and are interested in taking part please do get in touch for a discussion as we may be able to include you.