Scrap 6 Months campaign gains cross-party political support
In the run up to the general election 2019, we joined forces with Marie Curie to seek commitment from all parliamentary candidates to help Scrap 6 Months and reform the welfare benefits system for people diagnosed with a terminal illness.
Thank you to everyone who joined the campaign calling on their parliamentary candidates to pledge their support for the Scrap 6 Months campaign. This campaign aims to scrap the 6-month rule so that everyone who receives a terminal diagnosis can access benefits quickly and sensitively. Currently only those with a life expectancy of six months or less are able to do so.
Ahead of the general election, over 12,000 emails were sent by our supporters, over 800 candidates pledged their support to Scrap 6 Months, and 77 are now sitting MPs.
Although the election is now over, our campaigning continues.
We will now call on the new Government to ensure it honours the commitment made by the Department for Work and Pensions in July 2019, to review how the benefits system supports people who are terminally ill. This review must be made an urgent priority. 10 people die every day waiting for a decision on their benefits claim. People with MND don’t have time to wait.
In the coming weeks we will also engage with the new Government and new intake of MPs to promote our key asks for people affected by MND.
Our priorities for the new Government are:
- scrap the 6-month definition of a terminal illness for the purpose of accessing benefits, so that people with terminal illnesses can access their benefits quickly and sensitively
- urgently develop a fair and sustainable funding solution to the social care crisis, covering both working-age adults and older people
- provide more funding for accessible homes to be built and more funding for home adaptations
- prioritise the needs of unpaid carers and ensure they get the support they deserve
- develop a funded MND research strategy, to help accelerate progress towards a world free from MND.
To be kept up to date with our campaigning activity, join our Campaign Network today.